Sunday, July 8, 2007

Trouble with Travieso



Here is Travieso enjoying his daily wash. (Snapped the photo from a perfect angle to not show the enormous, ugly wound.)

On Saturday I let him out into the arena as Raul has been doing during the week. He immediately lay down and seemed to show some classic signs of colic. So I checked for gut sounds, temperature and gum colour, which all seemed fair for his current condition. I made a warm bran mash and he barely sniffed it. I got really worried. As he lay down I sat next to his head and massaged his head and ears hitting all the acupressure points I knew of that may help for colic. He really enjoyed it. Seemed he fell asleep. And then suddenly his eyes went white and he started kicking and twitching as if he was having a seizure. It freaked me out! It lasted for no more than 5 seconds and as I was ready to run for help he just got up and followed me. It was mind boggling. Had he just had a seizure? Or did I put him to sleep and he had a horsey dream about running on the beach? He lay down again and I sat down with him and continued to massage. After about twenty minutes he got up and seemed to feel better. He wanted his bran, ate it all and was perfectly normal.

I don't know what to make out of that.

On Sunday he was in good spirits, or as good as he can be in his condition. But I noticed as I turned him out into the arena that he was eating sand. Not just licking it little bit, but taking bites of it with his teeth and munching mouth fulls. Raul mentioned seeing him do that last week.

This could possibly have caused a problem in the intestine, although sand colic is far more serious than and impaction and I'm not sure any acupressure would help for it, but if sand had anything to do with Travieso's Saturday episode I sure hope the Phsyllium I mixed into his bran will do it's trick and push out the sand.

I'm e-mailing photos and updates for his vet weekly to monitor his healing progress. We really like this vet, he has been an excellent help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kirsi,
We hope Travieso is getting better,it sure seems like he is progressing toward a healthy life,many prayers go out to him and all of his supporters.
from:"asa"
(A Secret Admirer)