Thursday, August 9, 2007

Moving forward.



Although Madeira and Steal live right next to each other they still need that intimate closeness at times, so when Steal was completely stall bound we let Madeira visit him in his stall. She was like a little girl who didn't want to go home from her play date afterwards.

Steal is doing much better now. He seems to really enjoy going for his walks, which is now 10 minutes twice a day. He walks happy and proud. Although to his great annoyance we fitted him with a muzzle so not to take any chances of him eating since his diet must be very strict from now on. On Saturday Joe and I put Steal, Madeira and Sunrise in to the round corral and had them all walk around for ten minutes. Head to tail they walked like a line of elephants.


Last week I finally got on Madeira for the first time in 9 months. Only for a few minutes after our playing session, bareback and bridle less, and she walked around so perfectly tuned into me, that I was virtually surprised how easy it was to direct her with solely my seat. I was ecstatic as Raul rode by wrangling out a group of customers, and gave me a million dollar smile.

Later he wanted to know how I had the guts to get on Madeira like that, you know without a saddle and bridle, when no one has ridden her for such a long time. Wasn't I scared that she was going to buck me off?

Oh boy, I thought. The normal assumptions that horses will forget and go crazy if they aren't worked and worked and worked. And further, that I would do it without preparing her well on the ground first. To get into harmony with her. Set up for success!!!

But it isn't easy for people to understand if they aren't used to reading horses enough to determine whether it is OK to proceed or whether to retreat. So I told Raul that I simply asked Madeira if she would like to carry me today and she said, "well why not." So I got on. (Raul thinks I'm a bit loony.)

Since then I have gotten on Madeira couple more times for a short while and even trotted around a bit. It's not much, but we are on our way to riding again and slower the better to ensure her leg will hold.

No comments: